More Social than Work

Thanks for visitng my blog! I decided to start this when I moved from Austin to Atlanta in the summer of 2006. I figured the new adventure would offer some fun stories to share with friends and family around the globe. I'm a Social Worker, by the way -- hence the title of the blog.

Monday, July 31, 2006

And the Bands Played On...

Saturday, I spent the day with my aunt, uncle, and cousins at the Georgia Dome for the Drum Corps International Southeastern Championships (named for the location of the competition rather than the location of the competing corps). This is my cousin Stuart's 2nd season playing with Southwind out of Lexington, KY; he is playing euphonium this year. There are 23 Division I Drum and Bugle Corps througout the country, and all but one participated in Saturday's event. If you have never witnessed one of these shows, I highly recommend it - particularly if you ever competed with a marching band or in other musical competitions. The talent and discipline these kids display from the warm-up to the end of the show is simply unequalled.

The DCI World Championships will take place in a couple of weeks, and the competition will be aired on ESPN2 on Tuesday, September 5 at 8:00 pm EST. I guarantee it will be more exciting than watching the World Series of Poker for the billionth time.

Cousin Stu is also in The Auburn University Marching Band, so I will be looking for him on the field again this fall!

4 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll have to tape the Championship show because I think you will be at a Braves game on Sept. 5th. Lucky you !!!

Wish I could have seen the Drum Corps. I have heard it is spectacular.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, many reasons I wish you were still in Austin...but one being that if you were here you could be my "band nerd" friend to go with me to see the Quarterfinals at a theater here in Austin. I need to find some more band nerd friends.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Way to go Stu. Nice write-ap Oat. Can't wait to go see the Auburn Marching Band WITH YOU AND ERIC this fall! WAR EAGLE!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Ok, that was supposed to be "write-up"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home