More Social than Work

Thanks for visitng my blog! I decided to start this when I moved from Austin to Atlanta in the summer of 2006. I figured the new adventure would offer some fun stories to share with friends and family around the globe. I'm a Social Worker, by the way -- hence the title of the blog.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Something to Celebrate

Okay, Heidi, here's my crack at a foodie blog post! After returning from Auburn Sunday night (slightly humbled and very sunburned), Eric and I drove just a few miles down the road to celebrate our anniversary in Decatur, GA. What an awesome little town! It's only five miles from our house, but it's really a pretty drive, and there are so many cool shops and restaurants once you arrive.

I had read lots of good things about a place called Wahoo!, so we decided to give it a try. Like several restaurants I've discovered in this area, the place didn't look all that special from the outside. Once inside, however, it was very quaint and charming. It was a perfect fall evening, so we asked for a table in the courtyard out back, which turned out to be about twice as big as the restaurant itself. It was absolutely beautiful!

Now for the good stuff...Even though we were both having fish, we shared a bottle of Red Knot Shiraz from Australia. Eric prefers red wine, and I'm not really a stickler for the "perfect pairing." Actually, when it's cool outside, I prefer red because it warms you up! Next came the homemade breads: cheddar and dill biscuits that they only make on Sundays, as well as kalamata olive and rosemary focaccia bread. I came about my love for bread honestly, thanks to genes passed on my from my grandmother and father. Believe me, these breads did not disappoint!

For our entrees, I went with the house specialty. Any guesses?? It's the Wahoo! It came with buttermilk mashed potatoes and a vegetable medley, but I substituted white cheddar grits and sauteed asparagus because it sounded less boring. Eric had the special catch of the day -- blackened scallops and medallions of hedy fish (I think...I know it was another Hawaiian fish with a similar texture to Wahoo but sweeter in flavor). Eric's dish was served with a chilled pineapple salsa, rice pilaf, and vegetable medley, but he went with the mashed potatoes instead of rice. Our knowledgeable and attentive server, Shelia, offered to bring us champagne in honor of the anniversary celebration, but we opted for the key lime tart instead! Every bite of our meal from bread to tart was absolutely delectable. A nice bonus was that dinner didn't break the bank.

Afterward, we stopped by the Brick Store Pub, thanks to a recommendation from our neighbors. The pub, which specializes in Belgian ales, has a great atmosphere, and our server was extremely helpful in guiding us through the eight-page Belgian ale menu! I tried a Scaldis strong ale, while Eric had a St. Bernardus Abt 12 "quadruppel" followed by a Rochefort 10 trappist ale. Don't ask me to explain those any further...just trust that it was a cool experience and that a good time was had by all.

4 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Heidi MacInnis said...

Sounds like you both really enjoyed it. I got the first version from hubby. Happy Anniversary. Hopefully we can swing a trip out there next month! Of course, Eric may be anti-MacInnis for a bit! ;)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Sara Quinn said...

Wow! I'm impressed - Sounds wonderful- especially since my choices for seafood here are Captain D's and Captain D's. (If you can call that seafood) I need to try some Atlanta restaurants soon. !

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Yahoo! Sounds like Wahoo is the place you'll be taking me next visit. Happy Anniversary too!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Chuck Hawkins said...

Sounds like everything went good that weekend except the dam ball game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home