More Social than Work

Thanks for visitng my blog! I decided to start this when I moved from Austin to Atlanta in the summer of 2006. I figured the new adventure would offer some fun stories to share with friends and family around the globe. I'm a Social Worker, by the way -- hence the title of the blog.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Question of the Day

Spend a minute perusing this news story before continuing.

Now for the question of the day: What, exactly, are we paying these guys to do?

First we send thousands of troops into this God-forsaken war, then we reward them with substandard medical care when (I mean, if) they return home. In referencing the bureaucrats behind the debaucle, the article mentions "lack of leadership." Um...doesn't the precedent for leadership start at the top, Mr. Bush? (Okay, I guess that's TWO questions of the day.)

1 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Sara Quinn said...

Okay- you might have known this article would raise the cockles of your mom's heart. I don't think the blogsphere would hold all my comments but I do want to comment on one part of it. In the article, it said five months before the problems came to light there were concerns raised after the decision was made to privatize services there.

That is usually the first step taken so everyone can "pass the buck" to someone else. I saw it happen in school systems across the country - school boards would decide to hire private companies to drive buses, provide food services, janitorial services, etc. Then when the service became crummy, they could say, "We don't have anything to do with those people so therefore no blame can be put on us if the service is poor."

This article was appropriate reading for me especially this week after viewing a documentary hosted by Bob Woodruff about the many soldiers in Iraq who have suffered major brain trauma injuries . It is all so senseless and then when we do ruin our young kids for life, we put them in substandard conditions - then put the responsibility on someone else so we can "wash our hands of it."

Seems to me, I remember a story of another person who "washed his hands" of a situation over 2000 years ago. That is somehow supposed to relieve guilt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home