More Social than Work

Thanks for visitng my blog! I decided to start this when I moved from Austin to Atlanta in the summer of 2006. I figured the new adventure would offer some fun stories to share with friends and family around the globe. I'm a Social Worker, by the way -- hence the title of the blog.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

'Twas the Season

My Christmas season started this year when I drove home one day and thought my neighborhood was on fire. As it turned out, the Griswalds across the street had just put up their Christmas lights with no less than 43 snowmen of all varieties throughout the yard. A couple of weeks later Eric and I hung a couple of stockings on the mantel and a palsy little wreath on the door and almost called it a day. But then we realized it was our first year owning ALL the pieces of our beautiful nativity set, so it debuted on the mantel between the stockings.

Having a few decorations seemed to inspire us, and we began making plans to attend various holiday events. On December 9, Eric and I attended a Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols presented by the Emory University Chorus and Emory Concert Choir. Some version of this service has been performed for 82 years at Emory, and it was absolutely beautiful. A flood of wonderful Christmas choir tour memories from college swept over me, and I ended up crying through half the service!

On December 10, Eric and I drove his mom up to Lake Lanier for the 14th annual Magical Nights of Lights. What an amazing display! My favorite was the Twelve Days of Christmas, with the SpongeBob SquarePants Santa coming in a close 2nd (kidding).

Over the next couple of weeks, we finished up our Christmas shopping, wrapped lots of gifts, and finalized our holiday plans with our family. This was the first year in a while that we didn't have to fly across the country, so we were thankful for catching that little break. Even with new jobs, we managed to spend three entire days in my hometown, flitting from one relative to the next -- eating, opening gifts, more eating, singing carols, going to church, and eating. It was busy and exhausting, and we loved every minute of it!

So now we're back home, and the decorations are back in their box. (Wish I could say the same for the Griswalds). 'Twas the season to be jolly and blessed and grateful for friends and family near and far.

2 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Sara Quinn said...

Amen to all the wonderful festivities! It was a grand and glorious Christmas and your nativity scene is beautiful.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Yes, it was wonderful. We are so blessed to have a loving family. I wish Mikko could have been with us. So happy that we "FOUND" him! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home